Strep Throat In Adults — How To Recognize The Disease
In adults, most cases of strep throat develop after a cold, which reduces the protective functions of the epithelium in the respiratory tract and opens the way for infection.
In addition, the following reasons can provoke the disease in adults.
- Improper and irrational nutrition.
- Severe overwork of the body.
- Living in unfavorable conditions.
- Constant dampness.
Symptoms Of Strep Throat In Adults
The incubation period (the time between a pathogenic factor enters the human body and before the first clinical symptoms) lasts on average about 10-48 hours.
Common symptoms of strep throat in adults.
- Temperature increase. The specific reaction of the human body to the pathogenic activity of bacterial agents. High temperature promotes the speedy elimination of toxins from the body, enhances the immune response, and also reduces the rate of bacteria reproduction.
- Chills and malaise.
- Headache appears due to intoxication of the human body with the waste products of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Increased fatigue.
- Pain in the knuckles (the symptom is typical for both children and adults).
- Trouble swallowing. This symptom develops as a consequence of the inflammation of the tonsils. At the same time, the oropharynx opening decreases, which leads to difficulty in the passage of food through it. Also, when swallowing, pain sensations increase, which causes the patient to be careful when making swallowing movements.
- If the disease is complex, then areas of necrosis are formed on the tonsils, which have a dark gray color. The dead tissue is rejected, replaced by defective areas of 10 mm in size.
Adults are infected by the carrier of the infection, which releases it into the external environment. A close team at work, the use of shared cutlery, dishes, and a negligent attitude to the rules of personal hygiene play a significant role here.
The inflammatory process affects the mucous membrane of the tonsils while provoking unexpressed pain during swallowing. It is expressed by.
- Elevated temperature.
- Slight malaise.
- Possibly enlarged lymph nodes.
- Increase and redness of the palatine tonsils themselves.
It is purulent tonsillitis, and its development is accompanied by the appearance of suppuration on the tonsils in the form of light yellow bubbles.
Lacunar Step Throat
The appearance of characteristic signs at any age.
- Sore throat.
- Increased swelling of the tonsils.
- A rise in body temperature.
- Symptoms of body intoxication in the form of headaches, bouts of nausea and vomiting.
- An increase in the size of the lymph nodes in the submandibular region.
- The appearance of the plaque lacunae in the (colored yellow-white).
Accompanied by the following symptoms.
- Persistent fever.
- Vomiting, confused mental state.
The main symptom of viral strep throat is severe pain in the front of the neck. In addition, the patient has symptoms such as.
- Sore throat.
- Grayish coating on the tonsils.
- Swelling of the neck.
- Bad breath.
- Change of voice.
Complications Of Strep Throat
Although strep throat seems to be a frivolous disease and many people ignore its complex treatment, it is fraught with numerous complications. Strep throat complications can be local and general.
Local strep throat complications.
- Abscesses of the surrounding soft tissue (formation of large cavities filled with pus).
- Phlegmon (spilled accumulation of pus, unlimited).
- Laryngeal edema.
- Bleeding from the tonsils.
- Kidney damage.
- Damage to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Penetration of infectious agents from the throat into the chest.
- The spread of infectious agents into the cranial cavity.
- Sepsis is the most severe complication of step throat.
To avoid these complications, it is necessary to consult a specialist timely to choose the best tactics for treating strep throat.
Strep Throat Diagnostics In Adults
When the first symptoms of the disease appear, you need to consult a doctor and do a particular test. When making a diagnosis, Dr. Dang will review the clinical picture of the disease, data from anamnesis, and clinical diagnosis to prescribe the most gentle and effective treatment.